Monday, March 1, 2010

And so we meet again...

As I am experiencing this whole world of RSS (Really Simple Syndication) for the first time, I was quite pleased to learn that it was possible to view all of the newsfeeds that I visit daily, all in one place! After viewing the introductory video I soon realized how easy it was to use Google Reader. Most importantly, the video helped to demonstrate the 3 different ways that a site can be added onto your Google Reader. The most common way of adding a site onto the feed, is to simply click the "add a subscription" button and type in the website address. However, if by adding the subscription does not work, you may have to subscribe to the websites feed directly. A second way to add a site is to look for an orange button with 3 lines in it, which represents the sites feed symbol, and if this is visible on a website it will in most cases link you to the feed directly. Interestingly, most browsers will let you connect to the feed and subscribe to the feed on the same page. If this is not the case with the site that you are on, you can simply copy and paste the address into the "add a subscription" box again.

When I first started using RSS I began by adding the few websites that I visit numerous times a day. I was able to find these feeds extremely easy, and I can see this reader being very helpful to people who follow feeds daily, like myself. I know that I will continue to use Google Reader and learn more and more about it each time I use it. I can officially say that I love RSS and the fact that its so convenient! I have been able to save a lot of time by logging into Google Reader to view the latest news on my favourite websites. I have since learning about this assignment, shared the RSS experience with my family and friends. Therefore, this was overall a great learning experince that I can continue to pass on to friends and family, as I know many people who check newsfeeds on the web several times a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment